Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Down's in the Middle of Nowhere

We met with our Early Learning Providers last night. The 2 staff we have working with us is our case coordinator and an OT. The OT has been great in helping LB correct her posture in holding her head straight after she leaned severely to the right (Torticolis) and more recently we're working on core strength to start sitting up and using both hands in reaching. LB wasn't aware that she had 2 hands at first!
My main concern for LB's overall being/development has been her strong tongue thrust. What I've learned about tongue thrusts is that they can heavily affect eating and speech development - both very important, I think, to a thriving life.
Unfortunately we have learned that we do not have access to a speech therapist (we live on a remote Alaskan island). Even if we could pay out of our own pocket - there simply is not a therapist accessible until LB starts preschool and can see the school therapist. So I have undertaken learning what I can to help my lil - I don't see that I have any choice at this tine. Our Ped doesn't think there's any reason to see a speech therapist before the child is speaking...what if they don't start speaking...when do you go then?
I'll share with you what tools I'm trying and what results we're seeing. To start, I can share this:

  • Watch "Developing Oral-Motor and Feeding Skills in the Down Syndrome Population" by Lori Overland, M.S., CCC-SLP
    • Lengthy but Ms. Overland does a great job discussing proactive advocacy, plans of care and the 2nd disc she details actual practices and tools she uses to help muscle tone and oral-motor feeding skills.
  • Ordered Toothette Individual Swabs - Foam/sponge topped lollipop sticks. Using these to improve lip muscle tone as shown in the video listed above. 
  • Ordered Philips Avent Natural Drinking Cup. In pink of course. I've been advised to steer clear of sippy cups.
I've also tried the Zolli stick. This was first suggested to me to "poke" LB's tongue back in her mouth when she was sticking out her tongue. This caused her to giggle and then stick her tongue out at me further...so we dropped that. I've held onto it, just in case it may come in handy in the future. There's no telling in this wild ride.

I'd like to also mention, I am not endorsing any products I discuss on this blog. Simply sharing my experience, hoping it is helpful. PLEASE share your thoughts/ideas and what you've learned along your own journey.

2 comments:

  1. Order Sara rosenfeld Johnson talk tools kit she's a recognized expert within DS community

    So is SLP from school taking you early? Congrats on speech. Hugely important long battle to win. You guys rock

    Do you use ASL?

    ReplyDelete
  2. P - We're not able to access ANY SLP where we live. The referral we got is to a children's hospital, we have to fly to these resources. It has already been a huge battle and I know it has only begun. We have not started ASL, formally. I found a great iPad app to help us all learn, haven't started yet. Have you had success with ASL?

    ReplyDelete