Monday, September 9, 2013

Opening

The opening...how do I start without overwhelming you? Must start like a good book and not give the chase away right at the beginning. My name is Jenn and I am mother to a now 6 month baby diagnosed at birth with Down's Syndrome. There's more to the whole picture than that but my baby's birth, birth I put off for so long in my life...there's the chase. I'll fill in all the pretty colors of this picture in time and bit by bit, it's painful to remember all at once. I'm here to share my life with you because, likely, you were looking online for Down's Syndrome resources, find support or share questions/concerns like I've been doing for months now.
I'm here to share that I am learning everyday.
And it is going to be ok.
It's going to be emotionally painful, crying so hard it's physically painful and you'll have to learn as much as a new doctor might for the best of your child. But it's going to be ok, because you'll make it ok.
If you're new to the Down's Syndrome community, you are probably thinking I sound like what you've been hearing over and over from caregivers, family, friends - a lot of people that have never been through what you're going through. You have to understand your life is changed forever and in ways you didn't anticipate, unless you knew before. I think even if you had testing done, that still did not give you any kind of road map to what is going to happen.
And this is where I remind myself, NO parent is given any promises for their child's health or future when they're born. Don't forget that.
This is the opening to sharing my life. I want to include you in it.
Down's Syndrome Beauty
LB vamping it up in her princess dress.

4 comments:

  1. This picture of your daughter is stunning. You can already see the little twinkle of mischiviousess. You are going to have so much fun with her. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you CMSavage6 - this was such a fun shoot with her. She loved the crinkle of the dress in her hands and it wasn't hard to get a smile (rarely is). Thanks for being part of our blog.

      Delete
  2. Gorgeous and brave mommy for blogging. Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing gained if nothing risked - right? I'm finding our online community to be immensely supportive already. Feels great to step out of the shadows into the strength and unity waiting for us. Thank you for being part of our blog.

      Delete